Monday, April 9, 2007

Greetings from your photojournalist


I’m Jerry Meshulam and I’ll be chronicling in photographs and words the Rotaplast mission to Guatemala, April 18-29, 2007. I’ve created this blog so I can post during the mission for friends, family and all mission supporters to follow along with the incredible work we’ll be doing at the Centro Medico Militar Hospital, Guatemala City.

Although this is my first Rotaplast mission, I’ve been meeting with Mission Director Frank Leake and other volunteers, many well-seasoned, for the last seven months. I’m really getting excited now. Sharon Landon, last year’s photojournalist, captured amazing images showing a full range of emotions - apprehension, contemplation, fear, joy, love, elation to name a just a few. I’ll be watching for decisive moments to document this year’s experiences.

Participating in this mission also has a deeply personal aspect for me. I am fortunate to have had early medical intervention for my own cleft lip and palate, but I still have a sensitivity to the psychological issues faced by the children we’ll meet. When I see photographs from previous missions, I feel like I am every one of those children. My goal is to reach out to each of them and their parents, even if just through a comforting smile. I’ve been searching for ways to make that connection and I’m grateful Rotaplast is providing this opportunity.

2 comments:

Linelle said...

Great to see you've gotten a blog for this trip. I can only imagine how much this mission means to you and the range of emotions you will feel. Can't wait to see all the pics!

Jude said...

Jer,
This is such a great oppertunity for you is so many ways. Enjoy every moment and don't stress!
I love you and am so proud of you.
Look forward to reading and viewing you reactions,
Jude