Wednesday, April 25, 2007


2:00 p.m. Tuesday: Flor Maria’s puckish smile was impossible to resist. We traded teasing glances as I looked over from my desk in the pre-op room. Flor Maria spoke little because of her cleft palate, but her expressive face really spoke to me. Her wait in pre-op was long enough for us to have some fun. At one point I went over, she was sitting cross-legged on her bed and I gave her a high-five. It was still another 30 minutes before the anesthesiologist arrived to take her away from her father and into surgery. Twelve year old Flor Maria walked bravely away, hand-in-hand with the doctor. As she passed near me, she stopped, looked up, smiled and threw her arm up to give me a high-five.

3 comments:

Drew Jackson said...

Your images really capture the personalities of all involved. The joy is real. They drip with emotion. Excellent job Jerry.

Unknown said...

Bless you and your team for the wonderful time and effort you have put into helping this beautiful girl...keep us posted!

---Claudine from the new Rotary Club of Rancho Cotati

David said...

Wonderful to see what joy the team brings to these children. The photos bring home the emotion the patients and families feel--great job, Jerry